It was around September of 2005, that I finally decided after pondering my decision and options for nearly 4 years, that I was ready to make the calls and get scheduled to learn more information. At the same time, I was in the process of selling my beautiful home in San Diego, and getting ready to move back up to the Bay Area... I wasn't initially sure where, but knew it would be closer to home and family for the first time since I was 18 years old! By January, I had a new home in EDH, I had started a new position at Intel Corp. and was grateful to be able to spend time with 'old' friends and see family whenever I wanted. I did miss San Diego and all my wonderful friends there, but was very happy for the great changes to come and was working on my very first set of paperwork to submit to China. There was some concern I would not qualify within the China program as a divorced, single woman, but at the last minute, they opened up their program for one week and I was entered into a lottery for the very last batch of single applicants. A week later, I was notified that I was selected! At that point, I had no idea what this journey would bring, but believed it was going to be very predictable and straight-forward process with an average of 14-16 months of waiting to travel to China. For me, that was a good thing, to get settled, meet new friends, and get all my work priorities in order.
Early that spring, our family changed forever when my dad was struck with a terminal illness and passed away that summer. We were all heart broken; each of us have dealt with it in very different ways, but our family has not been the same since. We miss him like crazy, but he's still very much in our thoughts. I am very grateful we had some time to say good-bye (once diagnosed with a brain tumor, he was with us only 4 short months), and I was able to tell him before he left us that although his new granddaughter would not ever get to meet him, she would always carry a part of him with her as she would be named after him. I was named after my mother's father (Allison Charles) and always knew I would follow the same with my own daughter. He was Dan, she will be Danielle.
By early June '06 I had my final approval and got my Log in date (LID) of 6/5/06. At that time, I knew the wait would be somewhat longer than originally expected, however never imagined it would be more than a few extra months. As time went on, it became clear that the program for adoptions for NSN baby girls in China was becoming longer and longer... the reasons for this will be discussed in a separate post. I considered other options, all the while never for one second thinking I would change my plans, but rather possibly adding to them; because my heart has a tie to my Dear Butterfly in China and I know we will meet one day-- it is the will of the "red thread" for certain, I know. I decided that I needed to do something more to help pass the time, so when my manager at the time encouraged me to go back to school and get my masters degree, I was determined to start the program and see how far I could get before my referral and 'the call' came.
Now, I have been in school for over a year, my job has led to a new promotion and a complete new set of challenges and responsibilities with new managers and new friends. The total waiting time continues to grow, but my heart still holds true. My baby, my daughter, my Dear Butterfly, is waiting for the perfect timing... the perfect 'storm' to come home!
No comments:
Post a Comment